Saturday, July 19, 2014

The WHO: Panic! At The Disco



 I've always loved this band. They will always have a special place in my heart and in any device I have that can store/play music. Introduced to me by my lifelong bestfriends in highschool (B-unit: Ged Canonizado and Kyle Laluces) in the year 2005, their music sort off became our unofficial tune while growing up.

The band, based on the stories I've heard was discovered by another favorite band of ours (Fall-Out Boy). Their first album (A Fever You Can't Sweat Out) is just pure genius. Think of it like this. Have you ever had a CD where you actually enjoyed and liked all the songs in it? Well this is one of those for us. Although they have ridiculously long titles, their songs are just so captivating when it came to the tune, add to that lyrics both cryptic and meaningful. Unlike most artists, they don't give everything away. Listeners derive meaning based on how they understand each song, depending on how they can personally relate to them by experience. The message they send in each are raw and unadulterated, hinting of dark and dangerous things which I find very bold and realistic as they tackled (I assume) topics that are usually considered taboo in conversations. They do it too in such a playful manner with hints of sarcasm in between which I find refreshing and interesting and I think you will too if you check their videos.

 
Their 2nd album was a downer for me though. It wasn't all too good. They seem to have completely changed their sound which was kind of disappointing. They really sounded totally different and more indie as compared to their first. Although now that I think about it, everyone has to mature at some point and maybe that was theirs. So I may try listening to them soon to see if my mind changes about it. Their most recent album though (Too weird to live, Too rare to die) is a good comeback. I considered a couple of songs in it as my favorites including Ms. Jackson, Collar Full, Vegas Skies and Nicotine. Although I don't like listening to all of them, It's safe to say I enjoy most of what they offer which is really good in general but then again that's just me. Listen to them and tell me if you think otherwise.
Brendon with Pete from FOB
Personally, I have to admit. I was an outcast back then in high school. Never really fitting in to any particular clique and was always the odd one out because I was different. And maybe it was true. I knew that but even so, that realization didn't make things any better or didn't make me any less lonelier about the situation. I have this particular memory of our field trip in 3rd year. I've told my friends about this a million times and I never will tire of saying it again and again.  We were in Enchanted Kingdom and I was with my pseudo-friends who I thought valued me as a friend of equals of sorts at least but for some unknown reason they decided to ditch me as they went off on their own. So there I was the only kid left to enjoy a theme park which was meant to be explored with friends. Have you ever felt alone in such a crowded place? I sure did that time and it was much more painful for me because I saw everyone else with their respective friends all smiles, making memories while I was left on my own with no one in particular to bond with. Lucky for me those people (B-Unit) found me and took me in. I can say it was one of the best memories I have with them. They took me in without hesitation and throughout the years have treated me as I expect a real friend would. I have been loyal to them ever-since. A lot of things have happened since then, We may have grown but never apart. This band reminds me of those times. It tells me that I am never alone and there will always be people who love and understand me for who I am and what I do. That's why I love this band. That's why this band is special to me. 
 

Fast forward, its 2014. At least 9 years past since I've learned about them and their music. Looking at things now, They still are an all time favorite not only by me but my friends as well. Their first album forever a classic. We play them whenever we chill, hangout or just talk. It's surprising how much they are a part of our growing up, our memories, and basically our lives. When I listen to them, I always remember good memories/good vibes and that is something I will always treasure. Surely to us, They are more than just a band. How about you guys? Do you know of artists/musicians which makes you feel this way? Comment below. :) I'd love to hear about them.

PS Pictures were "borrowed" online so all copyright claims are valid and will be accounted for.

No comments:

Post a Comment