Monday, July 14, 2014

The WHERE: Foodstops At Surigao

An adventure wouldn't be complete unless we sample the local cuisine and see which one we found best right? I'm pleased to say though that not only did we travel in style when we did but we also ate at the best places too. Here are the following famous foodstops on our trip to Surigao Del Sur.

* Big Daddy's 

Offering affordable dishes in varying combos. Big Daddy's was our first stop in our quest for good food. They have a big selection from budget meals to expensive hamburgers and sandwiches of your choice. 

Ate mentioned they are known for their steaks which are a little over/under php100. The serving size was enough and the food is delicious (depending on what you picked). You can also get free refills for their dips/sauces too. Ate, Kuya Vince and Kuya Charles opted for the steak while I chose a spicy pork dish. I also asked for chicken soup. Personally, I should've made the same order as them because frankly I found mine to be quite lacking. I mean the difference in serving size of their meal to mine was palpable. I also regret ordering the chicken noodle which for php30 was also unsatisfactory, I mean I couldh've just bought and cooked 2 instant noodles instead and that'd be better. And in terms of taste, mine wasn't up to par when it came to being spicy.  The steaks tasted really good when I sampled it further proving I made the wrong choice. Although I must admit mine tasted ok naman  when dipped in their delicious vinegar pero mas masarap padin yung steak eh. Oh well. The cakes we ordered for dessert though tasted really nice. We had a caramel one and another in pistaccio flavor. I liked the caramel better though. All in all the meal was good. I'd say 8/10. The customer service is really nice. They we're all warm smiles and accomodating. The food isn't perfect but for the price, it's as expected.


* Weegools


After visiting the National Museum and locating gift shops for soveigneers, we decided to eat here when our previous option(I forgot the name) was closed for renovation. It was the guards from the National Museum that pointed us there. It was just a few steps away you see.

The place is rather homey. The style is a little offbeat although color wise everything matches their chicken mascot. It's spacious enough for a big gathering of atleast 100 people. I like that they have this duyan on one side of the place. The washing area consisted of playful jars instead of the standard faucets. One big no-no though was their comfort rooms which were rather unkempt and is in dire need of a good scrubbing. 



The food is really good. We tried their very own version of the chicken inasal. And it sure was tasty. The chicken is well done and soft to bite. The portions are also large enough to keep you full. It wasn't costy and definitely worth it for it's price. 



For desert, we ordered their halohalo which was served in a buko shell. It's tatsy but I feel it lacked some ingredients and wasn't all too fresh. To sum it up, the experience was good although nothing too special. I'd give it an 8/10.


* Gail's


We ate at Gail's after our tiring trip from Tinuy-an Falls. The place is located on the town nearby. The place is big enough for atleast 5 families. Its airconditioned which was perfect. The food are a little bit pricey but the serving size are very big and you definitely get your money's worth with the taste. We ordered their fried chicken which they boasted as an all time favorite, we also added Pancit guisado and last but not least the "Mutya ng Bislig" soup. 



I can honestly say that Gail's among all our foodstops proved to be the best of them all. The chicken they served were nicely fried and the portions were big enough that you'd be full with just one. They use magnolia chicken for it btw, no wonder its so big and is of good quality. The pancit guisado wasn't all too bad. I'd have to say might have tasted really well too but was overpowered by the other dishes served. I do remember that the noodles were soft and cooked just right as well as they placed a generous amount of toppings on it. Lastly, the Mutya ng Bislig was awesome too. Its made out milk and tasted somewhat of macaroni soup except its served with a variety of seafoods in it. I liked how creamy it was without being too overpowering. The seafoods consisted of shrimps, squids, tahong and others which was succulent, maintaining their own individual flavors and contributing to complete the delicious taste of dish.




Mutya ng Bislig
When it came to dessert, they allowed me to order Guyabano shake. I really like and miss that fruit especially since its so rare for us to get some even in Manila. When they served it, oh boy did they exceeded my expectations. The shake proved to be too solid for drinking and doubled as a sorbet instead. Whoever made is was awesome. It definitely was the cream of the crop when it came to dining there. It was fruity without being too sweet. I can't explain it. I can only justify though that it my scoring could skyrocket further than 10 if possible solely because of this drink. I just really loved it. My siblings agreed with me too.


* Margie's Bakeshop Cafe


Before boarding our flight back to manila, we decided to squeeze in our last few bits of cash left and try out this quiant little shop. There are a lot of postings online regarding how good the desserts here are so we tried some of their best sellers. 

 We ordered a black forest tiramisu and a caramel cake I think. Honestly, It was pretty ok for me. I mean it tasted good but having tasted others cakes as well. It was nothing short of ordinary. The place is located insde the robinsons mall. Its cozy. The prices are a little high and. The serving size a little too small for my liking. I'd give it a 6/10.

PS Most of the picture aren't mine and are borrowed from random sources online. Same rules on copyright follows. Was not able to get as much pictures at Big Daddy's because I was way too tired then from arrival and At Margie's Cafe because we we're rushing to get to our flight. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment