Saturday, July 12, 2014

The WHERE: Rodic's Food Express

I have always loved UP. Living near the school here in Katipunan gave me the opportunity to immerse myself in the school thru frequent visits even if I haven't studied there personally. One day for sure I will. I vow that. But for the meantime, I'm off exploring it.


There is always something good to be had in going there. Always something new that I take and experience. One of these trips allowed me to discover the now (and it seems forever famous) Rodic's food express or Rodic's for short.

Established in 1949 as posted, Rodic's sure has gone a long way from what it was to what it is today. Ask any Isko/Iska or any person familiar with UP or even those who aren't and surely you'll hear all about them esp. when it comes to food or foodtrips. They have a couple of establishments here in the country although I know of only two and have only sampled one place (which is in UP itself because its soo convinient). The first one is in the shopping center(or whatever they call it in UP diliman) and the other in Philcoa. Just ride any ikot jeep in UP, or ask for shopping center to get there when you visit. In The shopping center itself they have 2 foodplaces directly infront of each other that is often packed with people, student/non-student alike eating. I don't think it ever gets empty except maybe when its closed.



They offer a variety of homecooked meals that are filipino staples and the prices are well within any student's budget. For a minimum of php100 you can already get a decent meal. One of my favorites and what the place is actually known for is their Tapsilog.


Its a staple filipino dish consisting of both tapa(dried beef/pork strips) and egg on rice. I personally love it. And I often get as much as 2 servings per meal just cause its soo delicious. The meat is served just right and is rather savory. It has a sweet and slightly salty taste that you just can't quite figure out but it works. Dip that in vinegar and its an explosion of taste in your mouth. Pair it with fried egg and fried rice and I think you'll figure out why people keep coming back for more.


I've been visiting the place since 2009 and now its 2014, but nothings changed. I'm still in love with it. You will be too. So if you haven't, come on ahead and get the taste of your life. Visit UP or any place where its near you. You won't regret it.

PS Some people actually travel from different places just so they can sample the dish. Plus being as old as it is, surely they've perfected the dish in itself thats why its all so melt in your mouth good. Also although I know I hate to say this but the servers there are a little cold. Not that they're mean or anything its just that I expect them to atleast be smiling and warm people. I don't know maybe its just me being critical but a warm and accomodating environment tends to pull consumers back right?. Maybe I just caught them at a bad time or maybe they're just tired. Who knows? Don't let that stop you though. Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment