Sunday, June 29, 2014

The WHAT: Avatar

 I was caught by surprise when I learned of the latest season of Avatar. I thought the Legend of Korra would have ended on book 2 but I guess the bigwigs of Nickelodeon decided she was worth one more shot.


Avatar has been a favorite for me and my siblings ever since it came out a few years ago. What started out as a children's show in 2005 turned into a big hit even spawning its own movie back in 2010. And although not as much praise can be said about the film, the series in itself was very successful and continues to have a big following even after ending in 2008 on its season 3. It was then followed by the launch of The Legend of Korra in 2012, proving that no amount of hiatus not even that of 4yrs can dim the popularity of something that should as well be considered a household classic. Evidenced by the same albeit higher reception its current season received since its last season. It has won a lot of awards like the annual annie awards, genesis awards and even the emmy's. Viewers ranged from varying ages even going beyond the target 6-11yrs age range garnering a maximum of 5.6 million viewers at one time.


The story revolves among people divided into factions whose skills vary but mostly concerned around those able to manipulate natural energy thru "bending". The main protagonist being the "Avatar" the master of all bending whose destiny is to save the world. 


The 1st story featured Aang dubbed as the last airbender after his whole "species" was annihilated by the fire nation. The setting is in an asian-inspired world where people looked mostly like monks and the Shaolin. After going thru a lot of hardships and all, he ofcourse fulfills his destiny with the people he meets, eventually saving the world. Consisting of 3 books in total: Water, Earth, and Fire in respectively. It was one heck of a ride. A story I found very memorable even now. 


Although skeptic about season 2's the Legend of Korra, I decided to give it a try. And while the 1st story was something you would consider light and more comedic when it came to the story line, the second story hinted a darker hence more mature aura when it came to play i.e more action, more heavy drama. I actually found it quite off putting in the beginning but after a few episodes or so I've learned to love it for what it is. It stars a female protagonist this time named Korra whose tomboyish and stubborn personality is a far contrast from the lovable and comedic Aang. She inherits the title avatar and although unwilling at first, she soon learns and embraces her calling. I thought it would have ended with book 2 seeing as though it left no gap in the story whatsoever but now I believe they're starting afresh with book 3. The three books: Air, Spirits and Change namely.

The latest version though got me all the raving. Looking at the pilot episode, if the 1st story was light and funny and the 2nd was more dark and dramatic, this new one seems to have the right balance of the two. It still stars Korra but she seems much more mature and likable now, having embraced her destiny completely. The story begins post apocalypse when both the human and spirit world have just combined and I guess it would deal mostly with the changes/problems that would arise with that premise. Just as funny, as action packed, as intricate as its predecessors I found myself hooked and looking forward to the coming episodes. Now all these flashbacks and talks have me missing the old days. Looks like I'll be revisiting all those episodes soon. You should too. No matter what age you are, I'm sure the inner child in you will love it. Just like me, even now at 24 who fell in love with it 9yrs back.


PS I just found out now that a continuation narrating the final pieces for the missing story lines of the 1st story was published as comics online. Psyched to read it! Finally some answers to questions since 2008!! If you're a fan then I bet this has got your blood boiling just like mine as well. Look it up. and with that said I say Kudos to the makers, producers of this awesome show.  All photos here are from the internet with some being works of art by anonymous talented individuals. Any claims are rightfully theirs and will be addressed accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment